1. WHAT IS PHU QUOC HALF-MOON REEF?
Phu Quoc Half-moon Reef is the top diving and snorkeling site in the An Thoi archipelago, South Phu Quoc Island.
Thanks to its shape of the new moon, OnBird named its as Half-moon reef. The fringing reef is located 16 km in the South from An Thoi town, Phu Quoc island.
With its depth of ranging from 3 – 9m and possessing a great variety of coral species, Phu Quoc Half-moon reef has been an ideal site for not only scuba diving but free-snorkeling. Check out our customers’ review about unique experiences with us at Phu Quoc Half-moon reef on TripAdvisor.
If you are able to do free snorkeling, this reef is extremely ideal for you to explore marine life, otherwise except for bad days of fuzzy water due to the influence of monsoon then the underwater visibility is about 3 – 6m for snorkeling.
II. GEOGRAPHICAL FEATURES OF PHU QUOC HALF-MOON REEF
The surroundings rocks cover the water, faces to the west thereby the best time to visit is from October to May, but on some days that Phu Quoc is under the influence of the Northeast monsoon the water will get fuzzy from the middle of November to the beginning of December.
Phu Quoc Half-moon Reef’s calm lee water (in the Dry Season) is quite large as we usually take at least 1 – 1.5 hours to explore the reef in-depth and even longer if you would like to spend time for free-snorkeling. The underwater terrain is rocky with different depths, you will be seeing coral-covered canyon, coral-covered cliffs, the ground of anemone at the depth of 4m, or big helmet-shaped massive corals.
The average depth of the Half-moon Reef is 3 meters, and the deepest area is about 8-9 meter which is quite challenging to snorkelers and even free-divers.
III. CORAL SPECIES & SEA CREATURES AT PHU QUOC HALF-MOON REEF
It depends on your skills and level of free snorkeling. With our professional underwater guides who know exact where you are able to witness what kind of coral species, you’ll have chances to discover the following types:
- Hard coral: Cabbage Coral, Tube coral, Table coral, Branching coral, Lettuce Coral, Bushy coral, Cauliflower Coral, Honeycomb Coral, Stony Coral or Massive Porite Coral, Black coral and Brain Coral…
- Soft coral: Leather coral and Sinularia Levi corals are two soft coral species that you find the most here.
Especially, we’ll lead you to theLettuce coral garden at the depth of 1.5 – 3m at Half-moon Coral Reef. Phu Quoc Island is one of the most beautiful snorkeling & diving spots in Vietnam and Half-moon Reef is one of the top sites in Phu Quoc Island
IV. HEALTH STATUS OF CORALS AT PHU QUOC HALF MOON REEF
The health status of coral is quite good, come back here many times of free-snorkeling, such as we explored the time of Leather coral reproduction from Golden color turn into white and then reproduced again into Golden color. Some hard corals are damaged by the impact of a few irresponsible speedboats as they dropped their anchor right on the reef.
V. SKILLS NEEDED TO EXPLORE PHU QUOC HALF-MOON REEF
In our experience, Half-moon reef is very special which is suitable for both fun snorkeling and in-depth snorkeling/ free diving.
Here we will guide you some skills you should arm yourself with if are willing to explore the whole beauty of Half-moon Reef in-depth:
- Swimming: Very good swimming skill to handle on the sea for at least 1 hour. Many enthusiastic snorkelers joined us even more than 1.5 hours here.
- Easy free diving: Just need to dive 4m into the water you will be finding a completely distinct beauty from what you just see from the water surface.
Below are some options which you may consider to join us to discover Phu Quoc Half-moon reef:
- Skilled and experienced snorkelers/ Free divers: a Free-diving journey to explore Half-moon Reef in depth in combination with another challenging reef (U-Turn).
- Good swimmers in combination with fun snorkeling: a soft-adventure snorkeling trips, the itinerary designed appropriately which enables you to challenge yourself but still relaxing.
- First-timers or a budget option: A small-group snorkeling tour to explore this snorkeling site and Phu Quoc Coral Mountain at Crystal Reef. On this trip, we’ll have a training session for newbies before snorkeling.
For novices: It’s subject to the water as you have no other way to explore the reef on bad weather days of fuzzy water.
Dive into a footage of Phu Quoc Half-moon reef snorkeling and diving scenes that we recorded our guests’ moments.